Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sketchbook Dump Part I

I was going through some of my old drawings and I thought that I would post some of them here and let you have a look at them. The first group is more traditionally figurative in nature.

This is a drawing that is based on a figure from a Haddon Sundblom painting. (See below) Sundblom was an American illustrator who worked from the 40’s to the 60’s for a wide range of advertising and editorial clients but is perhaps best known for his iconic interpretation of Santa Claus for Coca Cola.

A wonderfully talented draughtsman whose work is as relevant today as it was when it was done.


This drawing was done from a photograph of a woman that I had hired as a model to pose for me. It is one of my most favourite drawings of all time. I really like the hand and the foot.



This drawing is based on a figure that appears in a painting by Lawrence Alma Tadema. He was a Dutch painter who became quite famous in Britain in the late 1800’s early 1900’s. An example of the esteem in which he was held was the he was knighted and moved easily within the upper class of English society.

Perhaps because he was so closely connected with Victorian England that his work fell out of favour so quickly in the 20th century. He fell so far out of favour that by the 1950’s an original painting of his could have been purchased for approximately $250. Now, however his work is getting the recognition, and in my opinion the respect, that it deserves and you now see his work when, and if, one comes up for public sale commanding prices of close to 1 million.

I spent quite a bit of time on the arm that is extended trying to make it look flesh like and round and I was really pleased with the way that it turned out.

I kind of cheaped out and didn't finish the hand though. In the painting she is tossing flowers.

5 Comments:

Blogger hfm said...

They look great and I love them!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Ray Frenden said...

Wow. Really nice work; your sense of value is spot-on. I hope to get there one day!

Oh, and thanks for the comment on 3-Thumbs-Up!

9:57 PM  
Blogger garth bruner said...

Really brilliant work here Eric. Very nice stuff.

10:41 PM  
Blogger pati said...

Wow! I love ur drawings, they are perfect! Very retro :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Rietz said...

Hey, thanks for the nice comment you left for me on 3 Thumbs Up. Now seeing your drawings and abilities, your comment means a lot to me. It is refreshing to see someone so in love with the traditional methods of drawing. You make a cheap red pencil seem like a must-have.
-kate

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

HTML COUNTER
HTML COUNTER